Weblog Entries

My first CSS Zen Garden Submission

by Pierre-Leo Bourbonnais on May 31, 2005
under Web Design

I got my first CSS Zen Garden Submission today. It is called Greek Remembrance Antique Garden. I welcome any comment!

Feel free to write what your heart is telling about it!

Comments :

Jason G said:
June 1, 2005 | 14:43

I just have to say that your Zen Garden submmission is fan-freakin-tastic! Your layout is great, your typography is appropriate, and I love your cool "greek tile" CSS logo!

One question...what's with the wincing/weeping woman? Is it a reference to Greek tragedy? I'm a bit slow sometimes....sorry.

P.S. - I also really love your personal site. Very clean and open and that banner graphic! BAM! (Plus your style sheet stuff) The look and feel is reminiscent of Simplebits, but different enough to know you simply were inspired by his site, and did not steal.

Anyway...very cool! Congrats!

Pierre-Leo Bourbonnais said:
June 1, 2005 | 15:14

Thank you! You are the first to post to my weblog and I really appreciate it! Your site is great as well! We feel like being in the sky!

Thanks for your great comments about the website! In fact, I was more inspired by Doug Bowman for the layout at first, but that's right, the background and banner colors are reminiscent of Dan Cederholm.

About the picture of the girl: well, I could have find something more greek, but that picture appealed to me as soon as I took it (she's the sister of my girlfriend - my favourite model). It is as she was keeping in her face the fear and the beauty that the greek history inspired to me...

Tom Fadial said:
June 2, 2005 | 01:04

Congrats, great site and a nice submission.

Albrecht Scheidig said:
June 2, 2005 | 13:22

I am tracking the css zen garden themes for a long time and want to tell you that your theme is one of the best ever (from a design point of view).

Congratulation!

Pierre-Leo Bourbonnais said:
June 2, 2005 | 14:54

Thank you very much! These are the only words coming to my mind :-)

Stamatis said:
June 2, 2005 | 22:23

Congratulations , your site is very nice! As a greek guy... what can i say about your submission? Imagine how i felt when i saw it... Thank you very much for creating a submission inspired by my country!

Pierre-Leo Bourbonnais said:
June 3, 2005 | 04:50

I'm happy you felt great while seeing my humble design. I tend to like Greece more and more everyday, reading all sorts of books about its history. I hope I'll be able to visit your great country one day! You'll bring me to the Parthenon and to the isles?

Thank you!

stamatis said:
June 3, 2005 | 16:36

:) there is only one problem when you live in a country with lots of beautiful islands like Greece, you hardly ever visit another country during summer for holidays... :)

Sunil Shrivastav said:
June 6, 2005 | 11:29

i have seen ur site the only thing is i can say its 'excellent'. even i don't have words about ur site. one more thing friend could u pls suggest me any CSS book. anyway all best.

Pierre-Leo Bourbonnais said:
June 6, 2005 | 13:50

Thank you!

The best CSS Books you can find, in my opinion, are "CSS - The Definitive Guide 2nd Edition", by Eric Meyer and "The Zen of CSS Design", by Dave shea and Molly E. Holzschlag.

Enjoy Reading!

Amirsan said:
June 13, 2005 | 04:39

The page is jaw dropping! I was looking through several css showcase sites for inspiration on my roman theme site redesign and coming past this bursted some great inspiration I needed.

I was wondering if you would be willing to help me out a bit, Pierre-Leo Bourbonnais. Not with coding, nothing like that, but help me find inspiration, ideas, something on a right path to get my design rolling...

I posted a thread in Sitepoint, maybe you can help me out in private or post there. Three thumbs up on your design, thanks for your work on it!

Pierre-Leo Bourbonnais said:
June 13, 2005 | 13:56

Hi Amirsan!

Thank you for your comment!

When doing this kind of work (redesigning), you should always start by using your pen and draw the structure on a sheet of paper. Try to think about all kind of things related to the roman empire (statues, objects, fonts, drawings, concepts, roman art...) and choose what is the most relevant to what you want to achieve. See Jason Santa Maria Grey Box Method for more info on this methodology.

Hope it helps!

Amirsan said:
June 13, 2005 | 21:09

That was a good read, thank you for the link, Pierre-Leo Bourbonnais. I understand what you and Jason is saying. Basically to get it on paper, some other person also told me to do research on roman related things, which is what I started doing.

However as said in my thread the structure must stay the same... thats what I thought was a good way to unite the network... if all the layouts were the same, but different design. Which also means that the HTML must stay exactly the same as the original site, the only thing that can change is the CSS and the images...

Maybe this is my problem? Maybe I am limiting my ideas and thoughts?

What do you think?

Luis said:
June 16, 2005 | 20:41

Congrats!
I intent do make one Zengarden someday. I have to overcome the procrastination first ;-)
Hugs.
From Brazil.

Ted Drake said:
June 27, 2005 | 18:00

I keep coming back to your design. It's truly beautiful. I like your use of decoration without being "decorative".

Steffen Giers said:
July 24, 2005 | 21:48

Hi...

Your Zengarden page is one of the best ever. It's a wonderful inspiration and a statemant of modern and fresh Web Design. Thank you!!!

Bye Steve
(Germany)

grappa said:
January 28, 2006 | 01:26

I don't speak english well... I have a lot of words for your zengarden: great fantastic wonderful beatiful nice love happy cool perfect also with OPERA 8.5
;-)

Marios said:
March 30, 2006 | 21:49

Hi, greetings from greece! Very nice site you made! What about designing parthenon???

ellada
-)+(-

Karen said:
July 14, 2006 | 17:51

that is one very beautiful design.
Congratulations! :)